For your Summer Reader Project, you will read at least TWO (2) books over the summer. You will illustrate a quote / passage for the first book you read. For the second book you read, you will write a book review. These projects will be due the first day of the 2021-2022 school year to your respective 12th grade English teacher.
If you have any questions or concerns about the following instructions or requirements, please email:
- Antonia Flores (firstname.lastname@example.org) for English IV
- Roy Gonzales (email@example.com) for English IV – Dual Credit
Book #1 – Illustrate the Text
Step 1: Choose, and read, one of the six English Literature books below. We’ve included PDF links to each book for easy access.
Step 2: Choose one favorite quote or passage from the book. Copy the quote/passage on your paper, then do your illustration. You may illustrate on regular computer paper or a poster board. You may paint or draw by hand. You also have the option of using any computer design program to make your illustration. Be as creative as possible!
Book #2 – Write a Book Review
Step 1: Read any book of your choosing, as long as it is appropriate for a school setting. The book must range from 200 – 250 pages.
Step 2: Write an original review of the book you’ve read using the Book Review Template that is attached. You can print the form out and fill it in, you can copy the format on a sheet of paper and fill it in, or you can type your own using the same format.
Things to keep in mind when writing your review:
- Don’t give away the book’s ending when writing your summary! The review will likely be seen by other students, so you don’t want to spoil the book for them.
- You can see examples of book summaries on the book jacket/back of the book, on sites like barnesandnoble.com, amazon.com, and goodreads.com. Remember, these examples are mentor texts for you to model your summary – do not copy these examples to use as yours.
- Finally, write your recommendation for the book. Why did you like it? Who else might like reading it?
- Other people will be reading your reviews, so make sure to write neatly!